Art-fix: Get your right-brain going
Quick little Art-fix...what's an art-fix you ask? Well its pretty much a quick little art project that can get your mind to use that other creative side...the right side.
For most of us, who don't have artistic jobs, your brain needs a break every once in a while. I try to do these on my day off but I don't want to spend too much time or money on a piece. This is a pretty easy way to balance your brain and how you think.
The imbalance was seen in kids (who we learn from in these studies) with behavioral, academic and social challenges.
You can bring balance by just doing a few simple things daily
1. exercise can stimulate new connections in the brain...connecting the right and left hemispheres
2. the color blue can stimulate creativity (one of my favorites, along with green)
3. play new music in the background when you're doing something creative or when you are trying to work and stay focused
4. do something creative like paint, play an instrument, take a dance class...learn something new.
and now a creative break
It doesn't take much time or skill to start and put something cool together…just get some tape, and paint (I used spray paint here from Home Depot)
I got a piece of paper and taped triangular shapes, covered it and painted or sprayed one side at a time.
I taped one triangle and covered the rest of the canvas…painted one by one and that was it! I then framed it in an Ikea frame...pretty easy and quick way to make your place look nice for that special person…heck you can give it to them...they'll most likely thank you!
Another really quick way is to change an old pot and do something creative.
1. Paint the whole pot (I used a chalkboard spray paint) and wait for it to dry
2. Tape the triangular shape you want on the pot and cover it with paper
3. paint the triangular part that was exposed with some cool metallic spray paint (I used a gold metallic but you can also use copper)
4. take the tape off and there you go! This went straight to my office.
If you want to keep reading...here are the scientific facts
The left side of the brain is responsible for controlling the right side of the body. It also performs tasks that have to do with logic, such as in science and mathematics.
On the other hand, the right hemisphere coordinates the left side of the body, and performs tasks that have do with creativity and the arts.
Some other things it does:
1. spatial ability - understand where you are and how your body is in space
2. face recognition - move over iPhone, our brain is better at this
3. processing music
4. understand visual images - to make sense of what we are seeing
5. plays a huge role in language, like interpreting context and the tone of what is being said to us
Some of the cool things about right brain thinking, is the ability to thinking creatively. This isn't just good for the artists, but also for those who need to come up with new ideas. Being able to master this kind of thinking can open a world of new possibilities and creative "juice" to flow.
While the right side of the brain can give you ideas and imagination the left side can help you execute them with logic and critical thinking.
It just needs to be developed and exercised more regularly.
The Take Home: find new ways to be creative and exercise the right-sided of the noodle.
Interested in this book? Head over to my About page....link is there!